Goygol Wine Plant OJSC, which has 150 years of history, is the oldest wine, cognac, champagne, vodka and non-alcoholic beverage producer in Azerbaijan. The foundation of the Goygol Wine Plant, one of the oldest wine-making farms in the South Caucasus, was laid in 1860 by Schwab Germans, who were then inhabited Yelenendorf, by present-day Goygol. When Germans coached the area, this settlement was calling Hanik village, where the Oghuz tribe lived.
In 1862, Vohrer Brothers joint-stock company was founded. This company was led by Christoff Vohrer and his sons Gottlob, Friedrich, Henryk and Christofor. At that time, Hummel Brothers’ Trade House was established, with C.Hummel and his sons Jacob, Albert, Georgie and Gothlib. Management board of the two joint-stock companies was in Yelenendorf, their representations and sales centers were functioning in Ganja, Baku, Tbilisi, Moscow, Kyiv, Odessa, Tomsk and Batumi. Concordia cooperative, was founded on August 8, 1922, on the basis of this plant, was the largest wine-making farm at that time in the Caucasus region, producing wine, cognac and vodka.
The company was producing "Kagor", "Old Port", "White table wine", "Red table wine", "Heres wines", "Garangush", "Extra" cognacs, liqueurs and champagne wines. At that time, most of the wine products produced in Azerbaijan accounted for Goygol Wine Plant, as well as only four enterprises in the Russian Empire have been producing champagne using classic French technology, and Goygol Wine Plant was one of them. To do this, wines from certain types of grapes were required: Aligote, Serceal, Veredello, Pinot gray, Pinot white. The local “Bayan Shira” grape type is in line with the last two. It is enough to say that during 1924-1925, the Concordia cooperative had produced 1,3,339 buckets of wine. According to statistics of 1926, 48% of grape harvested in Azerbaijan was processed at Goygol Wine Plant. During this period, wine was kept in 670,000 buckets at 13 wine cellars. In these years, along with wine, cognac production areas were also created. Cognacs "Ganja", "Baku", "Jubilee", "Azerbaijan", "Moscow" and "Shirvan" produced in the enterprise have won 16 gold, 11 silver and 1 bronze medals in international competitions, as well as in historical competitions specific champagnes and wines had grabbed 1 gold, 6 silver and 1 bronze medals. At the end of the XIX century, wines produced in the enterprise were exported to Germany and the Netherlands, and it was the first company in history exporting wine from Azerbaijan to Europe.
During the Soviet Union, the company operating under the name “Concordia”, owned 183 shops throughout the country. In 80's of the XX century, the enterprise occupied the third place in the Soviet Union due to amount of produced cognac and wine. Our products produced during these years have won the prestigious competitions held in different European countries.
In the Soviet economic system, under the name of "Khanlar Agroindustry" combine, this plant specializing in production of wine and cognac was sending its products to all the Soviet republics. The cognac and cognac spirits produced by the company accounted for 7% of the total production in the Union. From 1968 to 1982, three cognacs of the Goygol Wine Plant - “Baku”, “Azerbaijan” and “Goygol” - were awarded gold medals in Tbilisi, Budapest, Ljubljana and Yalta. In 1984, the plant had 1,500 hectares of vineyard, with an average productivity of 286 centners/ ha. Total value of the same year’s productivity was equal to 84,017,000 Soviet rubles. After the 1985 Decree “On Alcoholism and Anti-Drinking”, and as a result of non-farming, the plant was demolished.
Today, our wines are a high quality products derived from an ancient history, great tradition, classic recipe and unity of modern technologies.
Taste our products, touch the history...